Friday, November 12, 2010

Made my own laundry liquid!

Prompted by my desire to eliminate as many chemicals as I can from our house, I have started looking into green cleaners.

Rhonda at Down to Earth has some fabulous posts (aren't they all!) that make it look so easy! Check them out here and here.

So yesterday I was like a witch standing over my cauldron stirring my green and clean concoctions!

All I used was:
1 bar soap, grated
1/2 cup washing soda (powder, not crystals)
1/2 cup borax
















Put it all into a saucepan. Then add about 1 litre of water 















And keep on the heat until all of the ingrediants have dissolved.

















I then did the same as Rhonda, and took the mix downstairs to the laundry.

Add about 8 litres of hot water to a bucket, then add the mix froom the saucepan.



















Stir well, and leave to cool down.

Once cooled, pour into containers for storage (I used a funnel, was much less messy!), then remember to label so you remember what's in the bottles!




















Give a good shake just before using and use 1/4 cup in with your washing.

How simple is that! Took me about 30 minutes in total and now I have 10 litres of laundry liquid.

The cost savings are quite significant too, see Rhonda's posts linked above for the details.

Let me know if you have a go at making your own laundry liquid or other cleaners, I'd love to hear what's the best recipes you've found.

:)
Kim

2 comments:

  1. Well done Kimberly. You are certainly keeping busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have dons a very good job by making a detergent yourself. So that keeps you to make your detergent at home. And you can easily wash your clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...