Monday, October 3, 2011

Make your own.. NAAN BREAD!

What's an indian curry without naan bread? Not as satisfying I tell ya!

So one rainy night last week when Lyndon (my personal chef!) and I decided on a curry we thought we would try our hand at making naan bread to go with it.

Why?

a) naan satisfies my carb cravings ;)
b) it goes oh-so-well with curries, and
c) IT'S SO DAMN EASY TO MAKE!

So after a quick google search on my phone (how much has our lives changed since the invention of google, and internet on your phone!) I had a recipe in hand - one that didn't include eggs (watch out for my next post on a funny story about why!)

With my phone propped up against the microwave I proceeded to make yummy, authentic-looking naan


Easy Peasy Naan Bread 

Ingredients:
2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup warm milk
1/2 cup yoghurt - thank you Rhonda for the recipe to make my own!
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch baking soda
chopped herbs/garlic/sultanas - anything else you want to put in your naan
butter for frying

Directions:
The directions on that website above are very particular, but here is what I did and it turned out great - 
Mix the dry ingredients together then add the wet (save the butter)
Let sit for a few minutes (until the curry is about 15 minutes off being ready)
Knead the dough for a few minutes
Cut into 8 pieces and flatten each VERY thinly - you can see in the pic above how thin the uncooked ones are
Melt the butter in a pan and fry up your naan one piece at a time
You will start to see it bubbling in sections - usually after a minute or two
Flip over and brown the other side also


Warning: these are very filling!


ENJOY!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...