Wednesday, January 19, 2011

REAL Tomato Sauce

My family love tomato sauce. I grew up eating meat pies with tomato sauce (LONG before I was vegetarian!). So what better gift to make as part of my handmade gift packs for my parents and sisters (they're not vegetarian and NEVER will be)

You can make some too! Trust me it tastes so much better than the uniform-coloured, preservative and fake-flavoured stuff from the supermarkets.

 REAL Tomato Sauce 
(or Ketchup, if you're so inclined)
Adapted from Cheap and Easy website

2 1/4kg tomatoes
350gm apples
1 3/4 cups white vinegar
250gm onion
Spices - I use pepper, ginger, paprika, ground cloves, mixed spice
4 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons salt
2 cups sugar

Roughly chop apples (take out core, leave skin on), tomatoes and onions and place in a large pot with rest of the ingredients. 



Bring to the boil then continue boiling for an hour. Stir throughout because it will stick, especially towards the end of the hour.



Blend with a hand mixer or in the blender. 

Pour into sterilised bottles and seal whilst hot. 

That's it! Couldn't be easier could it. 


The recipe will make more than this. I like to double the recipe to make a big batch, especially handy when making them for gifts.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. nom nom nom, its satisfying making staples yourself from scratch hey! meanwhile, us Veggo's can find plenty of uses for tomato sauce too :)

    I've got a batch of sauerkraut fermenting at the moment, another couple of weeks and it should be ready.

    xB

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...