Saturday, November 6, 2010

Starting to think about Christmas gifts

I try to stay away from the shopping centres as much as possible, but grocery shopping once every fortnight/3 weeks means I am witness to the onslaught of plastic christmas-themed stuff popping up already.

At least it gets me thinking early about what I can sew, bake and make for this years frugal and meaningful gifts.

At the moment I am thinking a hamper type thing as a gift for my family with:
  • homemade jams & cordials
  • a sewn gift (apron, baby things for my 7-month pregnant sister - baby shoes look very cute, other ideas appreciated!)
  • homemade crackers and dip (my partner made some fabulous crackers the other day but now we are having trouble finding the recipe, don't you hate that!?) and maybe cheese if I can get all the stuff in time
  • a seedling or plant of some sort
Another idea would be putting everything in a reuseable sewn draw string bag also, might be a bit hard with the goodies though at least it will look like a Santa sack!

I'd love to hear if you make you gifts and what you create.

x
Kim

2 comments:

  1. As you look for baby items to sew the list is endless and so much fun. I even like to make homemade diapers, matching bibs & burp clothes.

    I used fabric diapers when my children were small and we were at home. Using a liner to protect from staining. They can be hung in the sun to dry and the sun bleaches out the stain. Just used a rack that I found and put it out on the back small patio. Make sure you give the homemade gifts to those who appreciate the items they get.

    Have fun sewing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done that you are making gifts for Christmas. I am making all of my gifts again this year and I have friends and family asking me to repeat their gift from last year - Tomato Chutney and Homemade BBQ sauce were hits as well as honey popcorn and fudge.

    I picked up a set of 6 coffee mugs in different pastel shades and have painted the words - relax, coffee, quiet, tranquil, rest, dream and imagine - all over them and that gift is going to my sister in law. Cost me $5.00 but if someone gave this to me I would love them.

    I have made cushions out of satin nighties that I never ever wore and they are purple which is my nieces favorite colour.

    I have picked up a large glass cokkie jar from the thrift shop ( $2.00) and it is gorgeous and it will be filled with homemade choc chip cookies for a dear friend of mine.

    Anyway - the ideas are endless and it is great to see someone else making their gifts.

    Cheers,Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...